Below is the rough outline for a short story that is in queue for this year’s June Camp NaNoWriMo. You can see a list of all of the stories here, or you can just click on the Camp NaNoWriMo tag and get all the planning goodness.
Verse: When Good is Dumb
Working Title: Chewtoys
Blurb: Taking back the night one shadow at a time.
- Team of demon hunters is gearing up to expand the territory of the compound by eliminating the number of large shadows that demons can come through.
- They head out into the shadows, the river that will power the turbine to generate the lights is a good ways into the dark. They are not amused. Bad omens are bad.
- They run into survivors and rescue them, but now they don’t have enough juice to get back home. They continue on to the river because they can use the generator to repower and head back.
- Only the attacks continue and the generator gets damaged along the way. They make it to the stream and end up getting in the water to escape the demons (they can’t enter running water).
- The other survivors have the parts they need, but they won’t give them up because it would destroy their own lights. Good of the many argument ensues. Finally the team threatens to kill them and take their stuff because no they aren’t kidding.
- They get the parts, fix the generator. Yay light!
- Refugees want to come back with them, team says heck no—values are not aligned.
- They give them another light source, fully charge it, and point them in the direction of the nearest non-them compound.
- Returning to base, just another day at work.
Good Guys Team
Compound, Wilderness, River
I have no idea who these minor characters are, so there’s shades of Imaginary Gate Team 5 fun to be had. Is rather a dark story too, but I need something to break up the previous fics. Anti-heroes are only heroes if you’re benefitting from their actions—no?