I haven’t tried a drastic resculpt in while… or ever actually finished one that I started. Thus I decided it was time to give things another go.
You’ll recognize the little soon-to-be-guy to the right as the Breyer G3 Stablemate Belgian—a horse I’ve been having problems with due to the horrible hooves. I’m not fond of trying a fantasy repaint on him without at least a little work and I’m not willing to put in a realistic paintjob without a lot of work.
So alot of work he shall be!
I actually started him (and the corresponding Blab post) a while back, but I got sidetracked and I’m trying to get back into the swing of things.
After getting a few comments on Blab on what needed fixing to make him an actual Belgian, I poped the little guy into Paint Shop Pro and started moving things around.
And then colored him purple– just ’cause.
This was my first attempt and as you can see he still needs a bit of work. He does look a lot better with a longer back and larger body, but the neck was still bugging me a bit. I put him down for a few hours, dug out some better reference photos that I could use as overlays in the art program… and came back for another try.
The fella to the right is what I ended up with. He still needs some tweaking, but I think he’ll do as a good starting place.
So on to the drawing and quartering!
Why I Can’t Have Nice Things
I did this with the hacksaw which was meant for soft woods—not sure if this will ruin the saw teeth, but since it’s pretty rusted (and six years old) I figured it couldn’t hurt.
And now my little guy is in pieces… now I just have to put him together again!
Only he really needs to be in more pieces before I start. As you can see from the pics I need to move his legs down and over, plus I’m not sure if he has a wide enough stance. *pokes model*
So now I’m off to dig up a few more reference pics and then back under the knife he goes! 🙂