1. Sunrise spilled across the plains flushing away the deep green shadows left by the moon. The grainflowers opened in response, petals uncurling in ripples of lavender and rose that ran from horizon to horizon following the light.
2. Normally the last thing I want to see breaking into a house is a sharp set of teeth, but this time I had come prepared.
3. Youth was the only time that the pod had a chance to play. As their shells grew thicker they lost the flexibility that let Little Currents charge the shore, spraying Rafiq with water while he laughed and bounced seedpods off her beak.
4. More often than not problems with the battlesuits came down to user error, but Merry wasn’t sure how to politely ask the General what he’d done wrong. He settled for pretending to inspect the joint while the AI whispered the action logs in his ear.
5. “Violence is your answer to everything!”
“Damn right, and name me one time it hasn’t worked.”
“Once we’re safe you can blame this whole [bleep]ing mess on my head and hand me over as a peace offering. But for now, you’re going to sit down, shut the [bleep] up, and let me keep you alive so you can apologize later.”