1. “Most of the time when people say can’t, they mean won’t.” She gave him a measured glare.
2. The giant hare rousted itself from its nest with a chuckling grunt, stretching like a cat and showing off incisors the length of Yuem’s forearm. Wiam had met hares before, but never so close and never without his brother’s protection.
3. There’s a difference between frugal and being poor, but she learned quickly not to try correcting assumptions.
4. Ships talk because humans need them to, between the stars lies a vast silence and we’ve never done well with being alone.
5. “No one wants to die, that’s not the point,” she snapped, “it’s that they don’t want you to die. Do you understand? They’re all down there waiting to see what you do so they can react, like ants building living walls to protect the queen—- so stop telling me this isn’t about you.”