1. Spaceships were giant sterile things, even crammed to the gills with refugees—hard vacuum solves a host of ills and even bedbugs need to breathe.
2. He was a man by night and a cat by day, when all common sense pointed to the curse having the opposite effect.
3. During the long summer afternoons the flowers extended petals as long as a man’s hand, soaking in the sunlight like rain. They curled in upon themselves at dusk and in the coldest deep of the night they glowed, feeding on the hoarded warmth.
4. We look back on our youth as the golden years, but all the younger generations can see is all the things we didn’t have. Happiness didn’t always run on batteries…
5. Tiny mice, no larger than her thumb, poured across the decks in a wave with the cursing cat only a few whiskers behind.