1. Months go by, then years, and at some point they give up hope– or stop needed hope, she isn’t sure which. By the time they’re found the city doesn’t need rescuing.
2. Thrift is a skill rarely learned in lush times, but William was lazy and unwilling to keep up with the Joneses.
3. “I’m not a puzzle,” she snapped, “and I’m not broken. Stop trying to fix my life to make it match your expectations.”
4. Humans are best at ambush hunting, laying tricks and traps and herding their prey into the nets. Which meant it was up to the Khriss and the Holst to keep them fed while on the trail– the Quan were good for many things, but hunting wasn’t one of them.
5. “The good ones all go crazy, that’s how you know they’ve finally understood.” He looked out across the waves as if he’d said something profound.
“He’s not much good like this.” She pointed out.
“Well, you have to wait for them to get better.” He squinted. “But he’ll come around, most of them do.”