1. A lamp hangs off-kilter on the tavern’s post, the glass stained white and green and its fire elemental singing the menu into the night.
2. People love you best when you lie to them, it’s truth in marketing or marketing in truth—either way all they want to hear is that you’ll solve all their problems for $19.95, even if you’re solving problems they didn’t know they had.
3. Somewhere, if you go far enough and fast enough, you’ll find a planet on the edge of space whose sky only has stars on one side…
4. Twins are rarely both born alive; the stronger cubs consume their shadow selves and emerge complete or not at all.
5. In the end, it’s everyday magic that’s more powerful: the sparks that light the fires, the barriers against the rain. By luck or by wits the First Child made the right choice, eons ago, when the peace between men and gods was written into stone.