1. There was no magic now, but– Archeologists theorized it from ancient architecture and ruined cities, but paleontologists confirmed it: Man can build pyramids, but they can’t make whales fly.
2. Being immortal is only fun for the first two lifetimes.
3. The best kind of stories are the ones with happy endings, where everything’s resolved and everyone’s future is bright– because life is never like that. In the real world you end up with people who are just happy to get back to their old ruts and villains whose story doesn’t end with jail.
4. Only three heartbeats mark the line between falling and flying, but she holds her breath each time waiting for the winds to catch.
5. At the appointed hour those who had chosen, or had been chosen, vanished from the earth. If it could have, Ship would have brought them all onboard awake, but assimilation into her crew was a slow process so most went into hibernation. A few came through alert, to confirm to their respective populations that she’d kept her word. Then, after one last farewell, she moved out of orbit—leaving the Earth and its Advisors to defend themselves.