Mold: Morgan (G2)
Medium: Acrylics and Embroidery Floss
Status: Painted 200? and Sold 200?
Storm was my first, but not last, attempt at hairing a model using embroidery floss. As you can see, I didn’t paint the floss like I did with the unicorns, but instead tried to use the original colors. It was sort of a hit-or-miss result.
I like the way the floss colors blended, but the overall look isn’t that good. Of course that could also be because the bodywork on the mold itself is well below par. The facial resculpting isn’t very good and the feathering is downright horrid.
I needed to spend more time removing the mane and making the face and neck look correct before I started the threadwork. Also the grey was done with light stenciling and sponging and completely without references, which doesn’t help things.
The base was added since that mold can’t stand without its tail, and is made of baked Super Sculpy covered with paint and train grass. The model is glued to the base since I couldn’t get him to balance right without the glue.
All in all, not one of my favorite customs of old, but everyone has to start somewhere (I suppose) and the threadwork did spark ideas for the unicorns later. So not a complete failure… just most of one.
He is, of course, named after one of the Heralds of Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey, as is his brother-in-mold Magic’s Price.