1. There were ghosts in the caves, shadows of creatures who had wandered the long-dead sea.
2. Weather was such a wonderful thing. Rain turned the roads to mud, snow hid gopher holes, ice sliced pawpads to ribbons, even sunny days turned rough stone into a hotfoot race. No matter what happened, they just couldn’t win.
3. The first thing every colony made was alcohol, a grand tradition dating back to when ships crossed seas instead of vacuum.
4. “I don’t suppose you could be a tad quieter? Some of us are trying to kill things before they hear us coming.”
5. There is no antidote to human curiosity, save death. It’s one of the few things I like about my new coworkers.