1. Years went by without the expected contact, but he wasn’t programmed to care. Stuck in a simple if/then loop, he waited for the signal that would trigger the shift from terraforming to colonization– but it never came.
2. What, why, who, where– all valid questions when it came to murders, but it was how that drove everything in these sorts of cases.
3. “Pardon me, but were you going to eat that sheep?”
4. Every line he’d ever stood in had started with A and ended with Z. His whole life was alphabetized and Zach Zuckerman was used to coming last… this time it saved his life.
5. Anna stood silent, a small quiet pool of calm amid the riot. No one else seemed to notice her, but William could feel her gaze even across the square.