Angel’s Kiss (Custom Breyer Stablemate Thoroughbred)

This little gal was painted in a pair with Pure Malarkey. The custom order was for a dappled smutty buckskin tobiano and I wasn’t sure how well I’d pull it off so I painted one one smutty and one plain.

I personally liked Malarkey more, but in the end Angel went home with the customer and Malarkey cantered off to eBay.

Buckskins are a pain in the neck to paint since yellow plus black tends to end up green instead of brown. I got around this by using blending both colors into burnt umber instead of each other. I think I pulled it off okay, but it’s something that is much easier to accomplish using pastels.

The tobiano pattern is pretty unrealistic, but I had a habit of painting from imagination rather than reference photos. Something I’m keen on avoiding this time around… As nice as it is to just wing it, I really should be putting more work into the research end of the realistic horses.

Medium: Acrylics
Painted/Sold: Painted and Sold February 2004

Martha Bechtel

My name is Martha Bechtel and I write fantasy and science fiction stories, paint small model horses silly colors, cast resin and plaster magnets, code random code (and Wordpress plugins)... Come on in and join in the fun!

Leave a Reply