Wild Fandango (Custom Breyer Stablemate Thoroughbred)

This little guy was the eventual evolution of the splatterpaint technique I hashed out for the faux-decorator style of Florentine Flip. I did use the same technique for realistic roaning, but there’s nothing like staying true to your fantasy roots!

This is one of the few horses where I know exactly which colors I used. The three Liquitex paints listed above are all relatively translucent, which I thought would create a sort of stained glass look to the splatters. As you can see on the close-up, I came pretty close to my goal.

I started with a basecoat of white guesso, then did alternating layers of the three colors. He was finished off with a light blue wash to bring some depth to the pattern. (Basically I stole the Sceenpainting technique used to keep set pieces from looking flat on stage.)

Finished with a nice high gloss, I think he turned out pretty awesome when all was said and done! Sadly I was the only one who thought so… he was on eBay for a long time before someone finally took him home.

Can’t win ’em all, I suppose.

Medium: Liquitex Phthalocyanine Green, Liquitex Phthalocyanine Blue, Liquitex Dioxazine Purple
Status: Painted 2004 and Sold December 2004

Martha Bechtel

My name is Martha Bechtel and I write fantasy and science fiction stories, paint small model horses silly colors, cast resin and plaster magnets, code random code (and Wordpress plugins)... Come on in and join in the fun!

Leave a Reply