1. The city ends in a stumbling rush into the sea, as if the builders had been laying mortar as it fell. The rubble only adds to the illusion and she carefully picks her way among the artistically off-kilter houses, still half-expecting them to fall.
2. ‘Speak now or forever hold your peace’, is much more compelling when when someone is holding a gun to your head.
3. She’s never woken up before the sun before. A lifetime of sleeping in has left her unjaded to the stark beauty of the sunrise and she takes a moment to watch while Stephen packs the tents.
4. They refused to speak of it later, not because the words weren’t sincere, but because ‘normal’ life had no room for relationships built on terror.
5. Drip. Drip. Drip. Tiny, shiny drops of blood. Dance along the knife blade, quick-quick crimson shower. Dru watched the hypnotic roll of the droplets as they flowed along the steel, humming a cheerful and woefully inappropriate tune as Michael worked.
“Luv, have you ever even seen the Smurfs?” He asked.