1. This is where things change– these next few words control their future. Only it’s not about saving the world anymore, only how badly they’ll destroy it.
2. “Do you know what time it is?” He grinned over the counter, hands conspicuously behind his back.
“I swear, if you have what I think you have–“
“Da-da-da Banana Time!” He unloaded the bag of groceries with a flourish of unrepentant glee. Only Darren could sneak ice cream sundaes into the house without fearing mom’s wrath. Being the baby of the family has its benefits… plus the rest of us get ice cream, so we can’t complain.
3. Cats are well known for being able to see spirits. Mittens was fine with that, it was the part about spirits being able to see her that the kitten found unnerving.
4. There are levels to pain and she worked her way down through each one, unraveling as she went.
5. It was easier to live in forests than the wide-open plains. After a decade shipboard they’d grown used to enclosed areas and the unending horizons unnerved them. Yolan took it hardest, always pushing himself to go a little further from the shade, furious when the sense of impending danger finally sent him scurrying back.