1. It isn’t until she steps back through the gate that she realizes she never expected to come home.
2. They’d hoped for a handful of survivors, more was pushing optimism past the breaking point. It had been two years since that last cry for help and the damning silence that followed.
3. Hospitals by their very nature were full of death.
4. It only takes once. Once in a million, once in a trillion, it doesn’t matter how many times he has to try… it just has to happen once.
5. She knows what it looks like from the outside; she knows, and she doesn’t care.